There’s a new undercurrent in Washington debate, an unstated drive to undo the bipartisan consensus that’s governed American policy for a century. New pieces by Fareed Zakaria and Clive Crook merely reflect the new unspoken theme that’s revealing itself in debates on taxation, Social Security, and a dozen other areas: If the wealthy must sacrifice anything, then the middle-class and poor must sacrifice at least as much. The old belief that greater fortune brings greater responsibility is under attack. The idea that “to those whom must has been given, much is expected” is being overthrown.
Sign up for Action Alerts
Register for occasional actions and updates from Campaign for America's Future.
Thank you for registering for OurFuture.org
You've been added to our list for occasional updates and alerts.
The Progressive Challenge
Robert Borosage of the Campaign for America’s Future presents a challenge to continue the policy debate started by Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign.
Burning Issues is a regular video series featuring progressive experts on issues of global concern in the 2016 presidential campaign. Watch the entire series.
THIS WEEK: Bill Scher talks about the downward spiral of the Donald Trump campaign and the down-ballot impact.
More by Richard Eskow
- Sorkin’s Attack on Elizabeth Warren Misses the Mark
- Free Higher Education Is a Human Right
- Prosecute Now: The Justice Department Can Still Act Against Bad Bankers
- Guess Who Doesn’t Want Social Security’s Offices Closed – and Who Does
- Elizabeth Warren: “Enough is Enough” With Obama’s Wall Street Appointees
Most Popular Posts
- “Congress” Isn’t Blocking Unemployment Extension; Republicans Are
- 5 Giant Un-American Corporations Trying to Bolt U.S. to Avoid Taxes
- House Republicans Blocked Critical ‘Make It In America’ Bill
- A Simplified Way To Tax Multinational Corporations
- Corporate Tax Behavior So Bad Even Fortune Magazine Can’t Stomach It
- Republicans Again Filibuster Bring Jobs Home Act
- Congressional Staff Find 40 Minutes Of Being Poor In America Exhausting
- Is Walgreens Trying To Leave The U.S.?
About Richard Eskow