After trying to sow confusion with different audiences regarding whether he would reverse course on his plan to slash top-end tax rates, the Donald Trump campaign sent a clear message that his extremely right-wing tax cut plan is here to stay. The New York Times reported:
…his spokeswoman on Thursday sought to clear things up: He plans no changes, Hope Hicks said, and advisers who say otherwise do not speak for him …
… Politico reported on Wednesday that two informal advisers — Larry Kudlow, a CNBC host, and Mr. Moore, an economic commentator — said they were helping Mr. Trump at his request and had proposed changes to slash the plan’s cost from $10 trillion in its first decade to $3.8 trillion…
Ms. Hicks succinctly dismissed any suggested discrepancy in an email: “There are no changes being made to the plan.”
That plan would give two-thirds of its tax cuts to the richest 20 percent of taxpayers, according to the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center.
As for Mr. Kudlow and Mr. Moore, Ms. Hicks wrote, “They do not speak for Mr. Trump or the campaign.”
Of course, this may not be the end of Trump’s obfuscating, since that is the essence of his campaign style. Just this Friday he told Fox News, that “anything I say right now, I’m not the president. Everything is a suggestion, no matter what you say, it’s a suggestion.” Whereas last month, his line was, “Everything I say I’m going to do, folks, I’ll do.”
What to believe? Consider that a President Trump would surely come with a Republican Congress. The only uncertainty would be how the billions in tax giveaways to billionaires would be delivered: hand-delivered and wrapped in gold-plated bows, or directly wired from the government coffers to their offshore accounts.